Add one more accomplishment to Jurassic World’s long list of broken box office records: It just crossed $1 billion at the international box office.
Jurassic World is only the fourth movie to ever reach 10 figures internationally, after Avatar ($2.03 billion),Titanic ($1.53 billion), and Furious 7 ($1.16 billion). To date, Chris Pratt and his team of raptors have grossed more than $646 million domestically for a worldwide total of $1.65 billion. Jurassic World ranks as the third biggest movie of all time, both globally and domestically.
As the biggest movie of 2015, Jurassic World has been breaking box office records left and right, earning the biggest domestic debut of all time with $208.8 million. It also scored the biggest second weekend ever, and it crossed the $1 billion mark globally in just 13 days.
Jurassic World is also just one movie in a string of hits for Universal. The studio has had a banner year, grossing more than $6 billion globally at the box office and demolishing the previous studio record set by Fox in 2014 ($5.53 billion). Universal also became the first studio ever to have three films cross $1 billion worldwide in a year, thanks to Furious 7, Jurassic World, and Minions.
A Jurassic World sequel is set for June 22, 2018, and both Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard will return. A director has yet to be announced, but Jurassic World co-writers Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly will write the sequel, with Trevorrow and Steven Spielberg serving as executive producers.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating