Is it possible for a Jedi to deflect blaster shots with a lightsaber? Is Obi-wan Kenobi’s “high ground” reasoning for besting Anakin in Episode III actually a thing? MythBusters examines these elements of the galaxy far, far away in its latest episode, and you can get a sneak peek at the MythBusting to come.
The Los Angeles Times released a clip from “The Myths Strike Back,”as well as a brief interview with hosts Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage. The two were conflicted about testing scientific theories on such a fantastical world. “But what we found, what we ended up doing in the episode, were stories we felt we could utilize the world of Star Wars to help the audience understand where a scientific approach can answer genuine questions from a fictional universe,” Savage said.
At the end of the day, if anyone is going to nit-pick a movie, that movie might as well be Star Wars. “In another clip, Savage, further testing the validity of these theories, watches Star Wars to measure just how fast the lasers travel when fired from blasters.”
You can see the Mythbusters team pit lightsabers against blasters at the Los Angeles Times, and check out another promo below for the episode, which airs on Saturday on Discovery at 9 p.m. ET.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating