Transgender actress Candis Cayne says she walked out of an audition for HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm because of an offensive joke.
“The part was for a trans woman who had to go to the bathroom really bad and decided she was going to go in the men’s line because it was quicker. I said, ‘Thank you for writing a trans part, but I can’t audition because a trans woman wouldn’t do this. I have to honor my community,’ and I walked out of the audition,” she told The Hollywood Reporter.
Cayne said fellow transgender actress Alexandra Billings, most recently on Amazon’s Transparent, had the same reaction to the joke and the part. Cayne, a close friend of Caitlyn Jenner’s, has starred in shows like Nip/Tuck, Dirty Sexy Money and Elementary.
HBO confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that the joke never aired on the show.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World