Two dozen young refugees were rescued from the back of a van whose doors had been welded shut, authorities in Austria said Wednesday.
The migrants, who are aged from 16 to 20 and are mostly Afghan nationals, were found inside the vehicle after it was stopped by police in Vienna on Tuesday, the country’s interior ministry said in a statement.
They were in “a life-threatening situation,” the ministry said, adding that the 30-year-old Romanian driver tried to flee but was later caught by a police sniffer dog.
It comes less than one week after 71 bodies were found in an abandoned truck on…
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow