There are ways to make a narcissist easier to deal with.
Emphasize community when you talk to them. When they feel there’s a strong group behind something, they’re more likely to behave:
(To learn how to get people to like you — from an FBI behavior expert — click here.)
When they do something wrong, use disappointment as a weapon to keep them in line. It works better than anger:
(To learn how to make difficult conversations easy, click here.)
Maybe you think you don’t deal with too many narcissists. There’s research that shows the leader of a group is more likely to be on the narcissistic end of the spectrum:
(To learn how to win every argument, click here.)
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 205,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now