Happy 20th birthday, eBay.
Pierre Omidyar founded “AuctionWeb” in September 1995. Eventually retitled eBay, the company pulled in nearly $18 billion in revenues last year.
The site is home to the macabre, the wondrous and the luxurious. With just a few clicks, your PayPal account, and a generous credit line, you could buy a demonic doll, the meaning of life, or a yacht—just a few things that’ve been sold on the site.
Above, have a look at the numbers behind the world’s largest auction site.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears