Happy 20th birthday, eBay.
Pierre Omidyar founded “AuctionWeb” in September 1995. Eventually retitled eBay, the company pulled in nearly $18 billion in revenues last year.
The site is home to the macabre, the wondrous and the luxurious. With just a few clicks, your PayPal account, and a generous credit line, you could buy a demonic doll, the meaning of life, or a yacht—just a few things that’ve been sold on the site.
Above, have a look at the numbers behind the world’s largest auction site.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org