A New Jersey woman who went missing in January 1994 was possibly spotted at a Walmart almost 700 miles away in South Carolina.
Renee LaManna, 57, disappeared from her sister’s Ocean City, New Jersey, home 21 years ago. She suffers from memory loss and mental illness – she doesn’t know her name and can’t recognize her family … though they’ve been searching for her for decades.
Now Greenville, South Carolina, police say LaManna may have been seen just weeks ago at a local Walmart. Her family says she was holding a Bible and talking to herself, according to multiple reports.
A North Carolina couple says they saw her last February in the Asheville area. They also say they didn’t know who she was until later, when they saw a photo of her on the web.
“We drive in circles, I go into stores and hand out flyers,” Linda Craig of Asheville told WHNS. “I know that Renee is out there, because I saw her. I know she is alive, I know she is out there.”
LaManna’s family says people think they’ve seen her in many different states over the years but they aren’t sure until it’s too late and she’s moved on.
The family says LaManna suffers from Dissociative Fugue Disorder – a rare disorder that disrupts memory, awareness, identity or perception. They think she’s visiting truck spots and hitchhiking in an effort to find her family, NJ 101.5 Radio reports.
In an interview in March with The Times-Tribune, her sister, Margaret, says, Renee had a nervous breakdown after her boyfriend of 10 years broke up with her.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This