A new Billboard survey of music executives offers some-not-so-surprising insight into how the industry’s head honchos really feel about the state of music today.
The biggest takeaway? The music industry’s head honchos love Taylor Swift. If the 50 executives surveyed were starting a label today, their must-sign artist would be Ms. Swift, followed by Lady Gaga and Adele.
Not surprising on Swift’s end, given the impressive performance of her last album, 1989—but it certainly speaks to the staying power of Gaga and Adele, both of whom have maintained a foothold even though Gaga’s last album was a duet with Tony Bennett and Adele hasn’t released new music since 2011.
The survey also revealed that executives least-favorite genre is rap music followed only by EDM. The results seem to suggest that the industry has a higher regard for not just one genre, but one demographic.
Read more results at Billboard.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart