To ensure the marketing force is strong with the much-awaited Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Disney is holding what it calls the world’s first-ever “global live toy unboxing event” on Sept. 4.
The livestreamed event will last over 18 hours, during which time Disney will display a new suite of Star Wars toys in an event dubbed “Force Friday.” It will start off in Sydney on Sept. 3 at 7:45 a.m. local time before rolling through other cities, each the site of the unboxing of a new Star Wars toy by popular toy unboxers, gamers and hardcore fans.
The entire launch schedule can be viewed on Disney’s website.
“Star Wars toys have always played an important role in how our fans interact with the Saga,” Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in a company statement. “They’ve inspired multiple generations to relive the experience of the movies and to create new adventures all their own. These spectacular Star Wars: The Force Awakens products will continue that tradition.”
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is expected to be one of the biggest movies of all time, with analysts and industry experts estimating the film could earn as much as $3 billion from the global box office, which would top Avatar as the highest-grossing movie ever. Merchandise sales from toys and apparel linked to the film could also reach $3 billion annually.
The movie will be released in U.S. theaters on Dec. 18.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022