The 1984 classic Karate Kid follows a high-school senior named Daniel (Ralph Macchio) who moves from the East Coast to the West Coast and learns the art of self-defense (along with some important life lessons!) through an unlikely friendship with the sage Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita).
Or does it? A new video from YouTube user J. Matthew Turner argues that you’ve been interpreting one of the best high-school movies of all time totally wrong. It’s Daniel, not his supposed nemesis Johnny, who’s the real force of evil here, as this five-minute Karate Kid re-cut fastidiously points out. And as for Mr. Miyagi? Well, he’s actually a demon sorcerer who gives people special powers. See if you’re convinced by the clip, above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- How Past Lives Combines Memoir and Artistry
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk