The actress Ellen Page confronted Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz on his position on gay rights at the Iowa State fair Friday, surprising the U.S. senator for Texas while he grilled pork chops.
The two spoke for about five minutes after Page, who is gay, asked about LGBT people “being fired for being gay-trans” and Cruz countered that “we’re seeing Bible-believing Christians being persecuted for living according to their faith.” The exchange was recorded by ABC News.
Cruz then asked Page whether she knew about persecution of gay people in Iran and at the hands of ISIS. Cruz, who opposes same-sex marriage, told ABC afterward that he did not realize he was speaking with Page, an Academy Award-nominated actress who came out last year on Valentine’s Day. He added they had discussed religious liberty.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at firstname.lastname@example.org