Marriage proposals can be nerve-racking: You want to get the delivery just right, produce the ring with proper flourish, and perhaps most importantly, avoid scaring the living daylights out of your beloved. That last part was a particular concern for a Los Angeles man who dressed as Michael Myers, the unstoppable killer of the Halloween film franchise, to propose to his horror-obsessed girlfriend.
A video posted online by Alec Wells on Wednesday captures the creepy yet romantic proposal, which took place last year on the same street where a key scene from 1978’s Halloween was filmed.
Dressed in Myers’ signature coveralls and featureless latex mask — but minus the gleaming kitchen knife, for obvious reasons — Wells patiently stalked and surprised his girlfriend, Katherine Canipe, by materializing from behind a hedge.
Canipe, a connoisseur of chillers who co-hosts the podcast Boys & Ghouls, burst into tears and accepted. In a recent post on Imgur, Canipe declared it a “perfect proposal” and added that she let Wells decide how to pose for their engagement photo. Here’s what he came up with:
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out