Marriage proposals can be nerve-racking: You want to get the delivery just right, produce the ring with proper flourish, and perhaps most importantly, avoid scaring the living daylights out of your beloved. That last part was a particular concern for a Los Angeles man who dressed as Michael Myers, the unstoppable killer of the Halloween film franchise, to propose to his horror-obsessed girlfriend.
A video posted online by Alec Wells on Wednesday captures the creepy yet romantic proposal, which took place last year on the same street where a key scene from 1978’s Halloween was filmed.
Dressed in Myers’ signature coveralls and featureless latex mask — but minus the gleaming kitchen knife, for obvious reasons — Wells patiently stalked and surprised his girlfriend, Katherine Canipe, by materializing from behind a hedge.
Canipe, a connoisseur of chillers who co-hosts the podcast Boys & Ghouls, burst into tears and accepted. In a recent post on Imgur, Canipe declared it a “perfect proposal” and added that she let Wells decide how to pose for their engagement photo. Here’s what he came up with:
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time