A Honduran man has pleaded guilty to attempting to smuggle drugs into the U.S. underwater in his scuba gear.
Evelio Padilla-Zepeda was attempting to enter the United States via a tunnel from Mexico that was partially submerged in water, the LA Times reports. He was planning on floating down the canal in a wetsuit with scuba tanks and 25 airtight packages of cocaine. He had 55 pounds of the drug.
Border agents captured him on April 25. Zepeda pleaded guilty Wednesday and could face up to 20 years in prison.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve