E’dena Hines, the granddaughter of actor Morgan Freeman by marriage, was stabbed and killed in New York.
The 33-year-old actress — who appeared in Freeman’s film 5 Flights Up in 2014 — was found in the street outside her apartment with more than a dozen stab wounds to her body early on Sunday morning, according to police. Hines was taken to Harlem Hospital, reports the Washington Post, where she was pronounced dead. Standing over her at the scene of the stabbing was a 30-year-old man, identified as Lamar Davenport by the Associated Press, who police took into custody and later charged with second-degree murder.
As the news spread of Hines’ death, Freeman — whose first wife was Hines’ grandmother — mourned.
“The world will never know her artistry and talent, and how much she had to offer,” Freeman said in a statement. “Her friends and family were fortunate enough to have known what she meant as a person. Her star will continue to shine bright in our hearts, thoughts and prayers. May she rest in peace.”
The actor also posted a message to Facebook, thanking people for their support and condolences:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com