H&M’s sister store, & Other Stories, launched an ad campaign featuring transgender models on Friday.
& Other Stories joins other stores and brands like Barneys New York and Make Up For Ever in creating ads that include a more diverse range of models, including transgender ones, in hopes of broadening the standards of beauty and gender identity.
The forward-thinking brand not only featured models Valentijn De Hingh and Hari Nefstylist, who are both transgender, they also hired crew members who identify as transgender—photographer Amos Mac, stylist Love Bailey and makeup artist Nina Poon—to work behind the camera on the shoot.
“The fashion world is embracing transgender models and we think that’s great,” & Other Stories’ creative director Sara Hildén Bengtson said in a press release. “But we couldn’t help to ask ourselves how the traditional fashion gaze can change if we keep the same normative crew behind the camera. So we invited five amazing creatives, all transgender, to make our latest story.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science