The rapper Drake has broken his 10-day silence after the fatal shooting of two people at his concert afterparty to offer his condolences and urge others of his generation to value life.
“I am plagued and pained by the violence that continues to escalate in our city,” the Canadian rapper wrote. “I stare into the eyes of so many young people and I wish to see them all shine as bright as they possibly can in this lifetime.”
He wrote that he was advised to refrain from addressing the Aug. 4 shootings publicly, the Toronto Star reports, but said he had to follow his heart.
The shooting took place in Toronto after Drake performed at the OVO Fest, and investigators have yet to solve the murders.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time