The White House released two summer playlists on the online streaming service Spotify Friday.
The two 20-song lists include a mix of genres, from R&B to jazz to hip hop, with classics from the Temptations, the Rolling Stones and Frank Sinatra alongside newer songs by Florence and the Machine and Lianne La Havas.
President Obama handpicked the songs before heading out on vacation on Martha’s Vineyard.
The playlists were put on a new White House account, which has about 600 followers, but it’s not the first experience Obama has had with the service. His 2012 re-election campaign also put out several playlists on an account with more than 413,000 followers with themes like inauguration and Michelle Obama’s workout tracks.
Some of the songs have a personal connection. Aretha Franklin, who sang at his 2009 inauguration, is on one playlist, while Beyonce, who sang the national anthem at his 2013 inauguration, is on the other:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org