Today in puns that fall flat: Going viral on Reddit Friday is a clip of the sports anchor for the British Columbia news station CKPG Rich Abney making an off-color joke during a segment about astronauts eating red romaine lettuce grown aboard the International Space Station: “Gotta say it seems like a better idea than eating food grown on Uranus.” (Lettuce file this under news bloopers of the month?)
On Reddit, users have been discussing the possibility that the pun was premeditated. Did he think of it the night before because he looks “so proud of himself?” Or was it a prank from the “teleprompter guys” based on “the way he smirks as if he just got trolled”?
The face that reporter Camille MacDonald makes after his comment has already inspired memes, like a parody of Edvard Munch’s The Scream:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Olivia B. Waxman at firstname.lastname@example.org