There is no fashion magazine cover more coveted than Vogue’s September issue, and this year, Beyoncé has snagged that honor.
This is the singer’s third time on the cover of the fashion bible; it’s also the third time a black woman has covered the September issue (not including fold-out extensions of the cover), following Naomi Campbell in 1989 and Halle Berry in 2010.
Beyoncé appears in a gown by Marc Jacobs, who tells the magazine: “The word diva is used for so many female performers, and it often means they have reputations for being difficult, but she exudes charm and a lovable quality.” The magazine also released a behind-the-scenes video, below, of the cover shoot, set to Édith Piaf’s “Autumn Leaves.” The issue goes on sale Aug. 14 in Target and on Amazon, and hits newsstands Aug. 25.
Vogue also released the video below, showing the star posing for Mario Testino, who photographed the cover.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List