Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios lived up to his bad-boy reputation at Montreal Masters Thursday when cameras and court-side microphones caught him serving a biting insult to Swiss opponent Stan Wawrinka, saying Kyrgios’ teammate slept with Wawrinka’s girlfriend.
“Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend. Sorry to tell you that, mate,” Kyrgios could be heard saying to Wawrinka between volleys, according to news portal news.com.au.
The comment is presumed to reference Kyrgios’ Davis Cup teammate, Thanasi Kokkinakis, who has been linked in the past with Wawrinka’s girlfriend, Croatian player Donna Vekic. The two played doubles together at the 2014 Australian Open, but Kokkinakis quite literally laughed off insinuations that they were a couple at that time.
In a post-match interview with news.com.au, Kyrgios explained that his smack talk stemmed from Wawrinka “getting a bit lippy with me.” He said the words came, “kind of in the heat of the moment. I don’t know, I just said it.”
Kyrgios eventually won the match after Wawrinka dropped out with a back injury, falling behind 4-0 in the final set.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.