Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios lived up to his bad-boy reputation at Montreal Masters Thursday when cameras and court-side microphones caught him serving a biting insult to Swiss opponent Stan Wawrinka, saying Kyrgios’ teammate slept with Wawrinka’s girlfriend.
“Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend. Sorry to tell you that, mate,” Kyrgios could be heard saying to Wawrinka between volleys, according to news portal news.com.au.
The comment is presumed to reference Kyrgios’ Davis Cup teammate, Thanasi Kokkinakis, who has been linked in the past with Wawrinka’s girlfriend, Croatian player Donna Vekic. The two played doubles together at the 2014 Australian Open, but Kokkinakis quite literally laughed off insinuations that they were a couple at that time.
In a post-match interview with news.com.au, Kyrgios explained that his smack talk stemmed from Wawrinka “getting a bit lippy with me.” He said the words came, “kind of in the heat of the moment. I don’t know, I just said it.”
Kyrgios eventually won the match after Wawrinka dropped out with a back injury, falling behind 4-0 in the final set.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022