Modern Family actress Ariel Winter opened up about her recent breast reduction surgery.
In a recent interview with Glamour, Winter explained she went from a 32F cup to a 34D in June. Winter says being a public figure, especially a female celebrity, meant lots of unwanted attention on her chest. “It made me feel really uncomfortable, because as women in the industry, we are totally oversexualized and treated like objects. Every article that has to do with me on a red carpet had to do with ‘Ariel Winter’s Crazy Cleavage!’ or ‘Ariel Winter Shows Huge Boobs at an Event!’ That’s all people would recognize me by – not, ‘Oh, she does great work on Modern Family,'” she said.
Ideally, breast reduction surgery allows women to have a breast size that’s proportional to their body to no longer cause discomfort. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, overly large breasts can cause emotional and physical pain for women. The procedure involves removing excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin.
Insurance will sometimes cover the surgery if it’s determined it will relieve medical issues. Cost for the procedure can be high, since it covers factors like surgical fees, anesthesia, and medication.
Men can also undergo breast reduction surgery. According to FiveThirtyEight, for every two women who have had breast implants since 1997, one woman has had her breasts reduced.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This