A month ago, Ed Sheeran told the BBC that he’d memorialize his three sold-out shows at Wembley Stadium by having a lion — the mascot of England’s soccer team, which plays in the arena — tattooed upon his chest. He was not joking.
On Tuesday, the 24-year-old singer posted to Instagram a selfie featuring an unfinished lion’s head emblazoned upon his torso.
“Halfway and ouch,” he wrote in the caption.
Within a day, 433,000 people had liked the photo. It now has more than 28,000 comments, which alternate between confused, effusively complimentary, and shocked.
On Twitter, Sheeran gave credit to his tattoo artist, Kevin Paul, who has also worked on One Direction frontman Harry Styles.
“Ed is nowhere near done,” Paul said. “There are going to be even bigger tattoos in the next few months.”
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow