Constantine lives—but there’s a twist!
Matt Ryan will reprise his titular role from NBC’s short-lived Constantine for one episode on the upcoming season of Arrow, CW announced at the Television Critics Association’s semi-annual press tour.
Though both characters hail from DC Comics, it’s a rare move to have a character from a canceled show cross over to a current one, especially since there hasn’t been any indication that the anti-hero and the Emerald Archer live in the same universe. However, a John Constantine-Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) pairing has been in the works for a while.
The idea first popped up when NBC axed the struggling freshman drama. Amell tweeted in May that he would make a cameo on the show if another network or Netflix brought the show back to life. Unfortunately, Constantine was unable to find another home, though executive producer Daniel Cerone gave fans some hope ahead of Tuesday’s announcement on Twitter.
Based on the DC Comics property Hellblazer, Constantine followed the titular con man-turned-occult detective as he begrudgingly kept dark forces at bay and struggled with the sins of his past. Production on the series was halted after 13 episodes with little hope the show would return for a second season after averging 4.5 million viewers and a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic.
Arrow returns Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time