The Los Angeles Police Department ramped up extra security at Monday night’s premiere of Straight Outta Compton, a biopic about gangsta rap group N.W.A.
One security officer told the Hollywood Reporter that organizers “tripled security” for the premiere, and the LA Times reports that the LAPD deployed gang enforcement officers to the premiere along with event security.
“Better safe than sorry,” Officer Mike Lopez told the LA Times.
Straight Outta Compton opens widely on August 14.
Read Next: Ice Cube On Ghostwriting, Diss Tracks and Straight Outta Compton’s Timeliness
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space