Google poked fun at itself in its major restructuring announcement that the company will now be a subsidiary of a new company, Alphabet. The news release furtively links to HooliXYZ, a Google parody from the HBO show Silicon Valley.
Fans can access the link by clicking on the period after the sentence “Alphabet will also include our X lab, which incubates new efforts like Wing, our drone delivery effort.” In a bit of meta comedy, Google’s own announcement was posted on a page with the domain “.xyz.”
The comparison between Hooli and the newly imagined Alphabet, designed to separate Google’s more experimental projects from its search engine, is apt: as the parody page explains, “HooliXYZ is Hooli’s experimental division. The dream kitchen. The moonshot factory. The laboratory of possibility. The midwife of magic. The womb of wonders.”
Sounds like HooliXYZ might be a great acquisition for Alphabet.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time