Google poked fun at itself in its major restructuring announcement that the company will now be a subsidiary of a new company, Alphabet. The news release furtively links to HooliXYZ, a Google parody from the HBO show Silicon Valley.
Fans can access the link by clicking on the period after the sentence “Alphabet will also include our X lab, which incubates new efforts like Wing, our drone delivery effort.” In a bit of meta comedy, Google’s own announcement was posted on a page with the domain “.xyz.”
The comparison between Hooli and the newly imagined Alphabet, designed to separate Google’s more experimental projects from its search engine, is apt: as the parody page explains, “HooliXYZ is Hooli’s experimental division. The dream kitchen. The moonshot factory. The laboratory of possibility. The midwife of magic. The womb of wonders.”
Sounds like HooliXYZ might be a great acquisition for Alphabet.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This