Google poked fun at itself in its major restructuring announcement that the company will now be a subsidiary of a new company, Alphabet. The news release furtively links to HooliXYZ, a Google parody from the HBO show Silicon Valley.
Fans can access the link by clicking on the period after the sentence “Alphabet will also include our X lab, which incubates new efforts like Wing, our drone delivery effort.” In a bit of meta comedy, Google’s own announcement was posted on a page with the domain “.xyz.”
The comparison between Hooli and the newly imagined Alphabet, designed to separate Google’s more experimental projects from its search engine, is apt: as the parody page explains, “HooliXYZ is Hooli’s experimental division. The dream kitchen. The moonshot factory. The laboratory of possibility. The midwife of magic. The womb of wonders.”
Sounds like HooliXYZ might be a great acquisition for Alphabet.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out