Fresh off of her grand slam victory at Wimbledon, Serena Williams candidly acknowledged the physical toll tennis has exacted on her body and an awareness that, at age 33, she has begun to position herself for life after tennis.
“We were so fast,” Serena said of herself and her sister, Venus, in an interview published in Wednesday’s issue of New York magazine, before laughing at her inadvertent slippage into the past tense. “We are,” she said. “We were. Gosh, is this over?”
Not that the tennis champ has a shortage of opportunities beyond court. She said she and her sister “brought fashion back to tennis” with a new line of athletic clothing, and is currently modeling her latest clothing line in an eye-popping photo shoot.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time