We may be well into August by now—but here, curled up on the sand with a joint in her hand, is Lana Del Rey, reminding you that summer isn’t over till the phat lady sings. The singer steeps her new song in a marijuana haze, but thanks to its skittering beat and dizzying hook—”All I want to do is get high by the beach / get high by the beach, get high”—the latest track from the forthcoming Honeymoon is Lana’s poppiest song in a while.
“High By the Beach,” which arrives ahead of its scheduled Apple Music premiere later today, also finds her departing from her typical tortured romances in favor of some solo time in the sun. “You could be a bad motherf—-r, but that don’t make you a man,” Lana sings, “Now you’re just another one of my problems because you got out of hand.” In other words: dude, don’t kill my vibe.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out