We may be well into August by now—but here, curled up on the sand with a joint in her hand, is Lana Del Rey, reminding you that summer isn’t over till the phat lady sings. The singer steeps her new song in a marijuana haze, but thanks to its skittering beat and dizzying hook—”All I want to do is get high by the beach / get high by the beach, get high”—the latest track from the forthcoming Honeymoon is Lana’s poppiest song in a while.
“High By the Beach,” which arrives ahead of its scheduled Apple Music premiere later today, also finds her departing from her typical tortured romances in favor of some solo time in the sun. “You could be a bad motherf—-r, but that don’t make you a man,” Lana sings, “Now you’re just another one of my problems because you got out of hand.” In other words: dude, don’t kill my vibe.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.