We may be well into August by now—but here, curled up on the sand with a joint in her hand, is Lana Del Rey, reminding you that summer isn’t over till the phat lady sings. The singer steeps her new song in a marijuana haze, but thanks to its skittering beat and dizzying hook—”All I want to do is get high by the beach / get high by the beach, get high”—the latest track from the forthcoming Honeymoon is Lana’s poppiest song in a while.
“High By the Beach,” which arrives ahead of its scheduled Apple Music premiere later today, also finds her departing from her typical tortured romances in favor of some solo time in the sun. “You could be a bad motherf—-r, but that don’t make you a man,” Lana sings, “Now you’re just another one of my problems because you got out of hand.” In other words: dude, don’t kill my vibe.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating