A United Airlines bound for Los Angeles declared a “midair emergency” and returned to London due to a mechanical issue Friday.
Flight UA935 landed at Heathrow Airport at 12:33 p.m. local time (7:33 a.m. ET).
Ralph McLaughlin, a 34-year-old economist from San Francisco who was on vacation in the U.K. with his wife, told NBC News he was aboard the Boeing 777 when it turned back while flying over Scotland.
“The captain announced that there were some sparks coming from two of the first-class seats,” he said from the aircraft. “I didn’t see it because I’m in economy, but now the plane has landed …
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022