A United Airlines bound for Los Angeles declared a “midair emergency” and returned to London due to a mechanical issue Friday.
Flight UA935 landed at Heathrow Airport at 12:33 p.m. local time (7:33 a.m. ET).
Ralph McLaughlin, a 34-year-old economist from San Francisco who was on vacation in the U.K. with his wife, told NBC News he was aboard the Boeing 777 when it turned back while flying over Scotland.
“The captain announced that there were some sparks coming from two of the first-class seats,” he said from the aircraft. “I didn’t see it because I’m in economy, but now the plane has landed …
Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now