In the wake of Jon Stewart’s final night at his Daily Show desk, the Twittersphere was saturated with mournful goodbyes and sincere appreciations for his 16 years at the helm of the show. There were comparisons to Johnny Carson and invitations to Gracie Mansion. There was even a conspiracy theorist reading (perhaps too deeply) into the meaning of Bruce Springsteen playing “Born to Run” in the moments before Stewart finds himself with a lot more time on his hands. There were even suggestions as to what Stewart might do with that free time. Magic Mike 3, anyone?
Steve Carell, Hillary Clinton and others offered final farewells:
Daily Show insiders showed the situation behind the scenes:
And the rest of Twitter crowdsourced Stewart’s future hobbies and career options:
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was