Looks like Robert Downey Jr. is living a life that’s pretty close to that of his much-loved billionaire superhero character Tony Stark. The Iron Man and Avengers star earned a staggering $80 million in the past year to top the annual World’s Highest-Paid Actors list published by Forbes magazine on Tuesday.
The 50-year-old actor was followed by a somewhat surprising entrant in the runner-up spot — Hong Kong comedy and action star Jackie Chan. Chan earned $50 million between June 2014 and June 2015, according to Forbes, and was followed by the Fast and Furious franchise’s leading man Vin Diesel with $47 million.
Hollywood biggies Bradley Cooper, Adam Sandler and Tom Cruise are the next three on the list, but the trio that follow them are, like Chan, somewhat unexpected entrants.
Amitabh Bachchan, Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar, household names in India’s prolific film industry known as Bollywood, clocked in at seventh, eighth and ninth ahead of another Hollywood leading man, Mark Wahlberg. Bachchan and Khan (who has been in the news for all the wrong reasons recently) earned $33.5 million respectively, while Kumar had earnings of $32.5 million.
This is the first time that actors from the Indian film industry have featured on the list; Forbes will release the list of Highest-Paid Actresses at a later date.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving