Two weeks after two teenagers vanished while boating off the coast of South Florida, the Coast Guard has confirmed the one major clue in the boys’ disappearance is now lost at sea.
The boat that Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen, both 14, had been fishing from is missing, officials said Tuesday.
The capsized vessel had been recovered on July 26 off the coast of New Smyrna Beach, more than two hours north of where the boys were last seen two days prior. The boat was inspected by a Coast Guard rescue swimmer and marked with a beacon, but was not immediately secured.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time