The wrestling entertainment legend known as “Rowdy” Roddy Piper has died at his Hollywood, California, home, law enforcement officials said Thursday. He was 61.
The cause of death appears to be natural, officials said. Piper’s agent, Jay Schacter, confirmed the death to Variety, and told the publication Piper died in his sleep Wednesday night.
Piper, whose real name is Roderick George Toombs, joined World Wrestling Entertainment in 1984; before that he wrestled in the NWA.
After joining the WWE became a star and was known for his battles with Hulk Hogan, according to the entertainment company.
Piper grappled with Hogan…
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future