There are few things worse than shelling out money on fresh produce, only to find it’s overripe, rotten, or completely lacking in flavor. To ensure your cucumbers are crisp and your nectarines juicy, we’ve compiled the ultimate A-to-Z guide to choosing produce like a pro. Created with expert advice from the USDA, a nutritionist, and a recipe developer, this handy chart takes the guesswork out of grocery shopping—whether you’re speeding through the store or perusing a local farmer’s market.
Print your own version for the fridge (or your bag) here.
More from Real Simple:
- Everything You Need to Know About Wine This Summer (But Were Afraid to Ask)
- The Grocery Habit That Costs You Calories
- These Are the Perfect Foods to Eat at the Beach
Read next: 12 Ways to Make Your Food Last Longer
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer