Officials in Texas released hours of new video footage of Sandra Bland in jail Tuesday in what they described as an attempt to quell conspiracy theories about her death. Speculation about her death has led to attacks and threats directed at government officials, Waller County Judge Trey Duhon said at a press conference.
“Because of some of the things that’s gone out on social media, this county has been literally attacked,” he said.
The video shows Bland cycling through routine post-arrest procedures. She fills out paperwork, is allowed to make phone calls and has her mug shot taken, according to the Associated Press.
Bland was arrested on July 10 after being pulled over for failing to signal before a lane change. The 28-year-old woman was found dead in her jail cell three days later in an apparent suicide by hanging. But Bland’s family and many others didn’t accept the official explanation.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve