Officials in Texas released hours of new video footage of Sandra Bland in jail Tuesday in what they described as an attempt to quell conspiracy theories about her death. Speculation about her death has led to attacks and threats directed at government officials, Waller County Judge Trey Duhon said at a press conference.
“Because of some of the things that’s gone out on social media, this county has been literally attacked,” he said.
The video shows Bland cycling through routine post-arrest procedures. She fills out paperwork, is allowed to make phone calls and has her mug shot taken, according to the Associated Press.
Bland was arrested on July 10 after being pulled over for failing to signal before a lane change. The 28-year-old woman was found dead in her jail cell three days later in an apparent suicide by hanging. But Bland’s family and many others didn’t accept the official explanation.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer