John Sewel, deputy speaker of Britain’s House of Lords, has resigned after The Sun published photos and video allegedly showing him snorting lines of cocaine with prostitutes.
Sewel, an ally of former Prime Minister Tony Blair, will retain his membership within the House of Lords, the Associated Press reports. Leaked photos and videos appear to show Sewel stripped naked and snorting cocaine. At one point in the video, an escort tells Sewel, “You’re such a party animal!” Sewel responded, “I know. Disgusting, isn’t it?”
One of Sewel’s former responsibilities as deputy speaker was to enforce standards and ethics within the House of Lords.
House of Lords Speaker Baroness Frances D’Souza branded Sewel’s alleged involvement “shocking and unacceptable,” pushing for police to investigate the incident.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tanya Basu at email@example.com