The New York Red Bulls pulled a stunning victory over English soccer champs Chelsea in the International Champions Cup Wednesday.
With a final score of 4-2, the Red Bulls didn’t take the lead until the 69th minute with a goal by 16-year-old Tyler Adams, the Guardian reports. The American team scored 4 goals in 45 minutes against Chelsea’s new goalie Asmir Begovic in his first appearance with the team.
Incredibly, Chelsea, the Premier League Champions, lost against the Red Bull’s reserve team while its starters rested.
“It was an incredible result for us as a club,” said Red Bulls’ coach Jesse Marsch. “Tyler is finishing high school and is with the Under-17 national team. He is very alert and not afraid. He has a very big future.”
The Red Bulls will play the Portuguese club Benfica Sunday night; Chelsea will play Paris Saint-Germain Saturday night.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State