You certainly can’t blame locals in North Carolina for taking precautions when going for a swim at the beach.
There have been several shark attacks in the area recently, and a new YouTube video posted on Tuesday shows a local couple taking safety into their own hands as they take to the waves wearing shark cages.
Local news site The Outer Banks Voice first posted the footage that shows a lifeguard putting an end to the stunt, whistling them back to shore.
Over the course of the summer, at least eight shark attacks have been reported on North Carolina beaches. Two of those attacks, reported just 90 minutes apart, resulted in two teenagers losing limbs.
The victim of the first attack, 12-year-old Kiersten Yow, was released from hospital on July 13. – nearly a month after the attack on June 14 which forced doctors to amputate her left arm below the elbow.
Both teens remain optimistic about their recovery.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science