The Texas site (right) is home to remains of the Western camel, giant tortoise, saber-toothed cat and Columbian mammoths–which date back more than 65,000 years.
BASIN AND RANGE
The Nevada province is home to one of the largest collections of prehistoric rock carvings as well as Michael Heizer’s City, one of the world’s largest sculptures.
BERRYESSA SNOW MOUNTAIN
For at least 11,000 years, Native Americans have inhabited the California region, which boasts a large concentration of threatened species.
This appears in the July 27, 2015 issue of TIME.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science