The Texas site (right) is home to remains of the Western camel, giant tortoise, saber-toothed cat and Columbian mammoths–which date back more than 65,000 years.
BASIN AND RANGE
The Nevada province is home to one of the largest collections of prehistoric rock carvings as well as Michael Heizer’s City, one of the world’s largest sculptures.
BERRYESSA SNOW MOUNTAIN
For at least 11,000 years, Native Americans have inhabited the California region, which boasts a large concentration of threatened species.
This appears in the July 27, 2015 issue of TIME.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time