Kanye West will perform at the closing ceremonies of the Pan Am Games, despite the ire of Canadian tweeters.
The main problem? Some Canadians think the games — and the main music acts — simply aren’t Canadian enough.
This year’s games are being held in Toronto, Canada’s most populous city.
As soon as organizers announced on Wednesday that Kanye will headline the July 26 closing ceremonies at the Rogers Centre, social media erupted with posts calling for them to reconsider.
A petition has even been launched on Change.org calling for organizers to replace the rapper with a Canadian artist.
Canada has some pretty big-name music acts, like Toronto native Drake, Deadmau5, indie rockers Metric and pop star Nelly Furtado.
Some Torontonians are perfectly happy with Kanye, though.
Others brought up an entirely new point — why are Canadians protesting Kanye when Pitbull is also on the bill?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time