Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters reboot may include a link to the past. Dan Aykroyd, who played one of the titular specter exterminators in each of Ivan Reitman’s comedies, announced Tuesday on Twitter that he was filming a scene with Kristin Wiig in the new film.
Aykroyd deleted his tweet almost two hours later, but EW confirmed his involvement with his reps. There’s no official word yet on whom Aykroyd will play in the film, due out July 22, 2016. His involvement is a classy passing of the torch; the actor called new ‘Busters Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon “adorable, hilarious and badass.”
Ernie Hudson, another original cast member, said in April he would like to be involved, but there’s no word yet on whether he will be. The film also stars Chris Hemsworth, Andy Garcia, and Michael K. Williams.
Sony did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment.
Indie Revolver first reported Aykroyd’s involvement.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer