“In one of the most wealthy countries in this world, there are still communities and districts that you can predict with 98% accuracy the likelihood of a child going to and through college successfully based on their zip code in kindergarten,” says Kira Orange Jones, Teach for America’s executive director in New Orleans. “And that is a crime.”
On the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina ravaging New Orleans, the education visionary talks about innovation and challenges in the classroom.
Read Walter Isaacson on Kira Orange Jones for the 2015 TIME 100.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement