They may be bumbling sidekicks, but the Minions proved that they can rule the box office all on their own: The Despicable Me prequel debuted to an estimated $115.2 million this weekend, giving them the second-biggest animated opening of all time.
That number doesn’t account for inflation, but it still means that Minions is only the fourth animated film ever to make more than $100 million in its first weekend. While it wasn’t enough to best Shrek the Third’s record of $121.6 million, Minions did beat Toy Story 3 ($110.3 million) and Shrek 2 ($108 million).
And although it fell short of the biggest animated opening ever, Minions did score the biggest animated opening day ever with $46.2 million on Friday, bestingToy Story 3’s $41.7 million record.
Another big accomplishment? Minions is only the fourth film this year to crack $100 million. Even more impressively, three of those four have been from Universal. (Furious 7 and Jurassic World are both Universal films, and Avengers: Age of Ultron was released by Disney.)
The only other big openings this weekend were horror flick The Gallows and sci-fi thriller Self/Less. Self/Less got shut out of the top five with only an estimated $5.4 million for the weekend, but The Gallows snagged fifth place with $10 million.
After Inside Out snapped Jurassic World’s winning streak last weekend, the dinosaurs pulled ahead again this weekend, snagging second place with $18.1 million to Inside Out’s $17.1 million. And after Terminator Genisys’ underwhelming debut, it fell to fourth place in its second weekend with $13.7 million.
Here are this weekend’s top five at the box office:
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart