A viral image of a 9-year-old Filipino boy attempting to do homework in the street, under the dim light of a nearby McDonald’s, has prompted an international outpouring of donations, according to his stunned and delighted mother.
“We’re overjoyed,” said Christina Espinosa, a grocery store worker who makes less than $2 a day, according to AFP. “I don’t know what I will do with all of these blessings.”
The photo of the diligent student, Daniel Cabrera, went viral shortly after a passerby posted an image of him on Facebook last moth. The image was shared nearly 7,000 times and drew the attention of local reporters. One month later, the family had received schoolbooks, clothing, a reading lamp and a college scholarship fund.
Espinosa described her son as “studious” and determined to obtain an advanced degree.
“He would insist on going to school even without his lunch money because I have no money to give,” Espinosa said.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up