Two people were left frightened but ultimately unharmed when a a cable on a Wisconsin amusement park ride snapped just before the pair was to be launched approximately 200 feet in the air at 60 miles per hour.
The bizarre incident was caught on camera, with one spectator observing, “The ropes are looking a little frayed” just moments before the cable snapped altogether. Though the comment may have been made in jest (someone also asked whether the woman and teenage boy who were about to be launched had signed their insurance forms), it proved remarkably prescient.
The amusement park has forced the operators of the ride, dubbed “The Catapult,” to shut it down.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time