Some insights on how to relieve pain using psychology, with links to the studies:
- Clutch some money.
- Listen to good music.
- Have a healthy relationship.
- Look at a photo of a loved one.
- Better yet, get a massage from a loved one.
- Try being nice, overall. Pain hurts more if the person hurting you means it and doctors take pain more seriously when they like the patient.
Join over 195,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears