German media are reporting a mass shooting near the city of Ansbach in southern Germany.
The gunman first shot and killed an 82-year-old woman in the Tiefenthal district at about 11.30am, and then shortly after shot dead a cyclist in nearby town Rammersdorf. He shot at at least two others, but hit neither.
Police say the gunman was arrested at a gas station in Bad Windsheim, about 20 miles away from the shootings. Gas station employees managed to surround the gunman and tie him up with cable ties.
The station has been cordoned off while authorities check there are no explosives in the vehicle, according to the local Nurnberger Zeitung newspaper.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science