Dancer Karine Newborn knew she wanted to be a professional dancer since watching her mother dance as a little girl in Paris.
Her career as a dancer took a sharp turn though after suffering an injury while performing on Broadway. The single mother and dancer found herself unable to continue her career as a dancer, putting her in a financial bind.
Newborn used the money she received from a settlement to open her own dance studio, Brooklyn Dance Project, and start an after-school dance program.
“To me making it is not being a big star and being a big name,” says Newborn. “I just love the craft.”
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time