The Federal Aviation Administration said it will change navigation codes named for Donald Trump, in the wake of incendiary comments Trump made about Mexican immigrants that have caused business partners to cut ties with him.
There are three navigation coordination points above Palm Beach International Airport that had been named for Trump, the New York Times reports: DONLD, TRMMP and UFIRD. The last point refers to Trump’s catchphrase from The Apprentice, “You’re fired.”
“In general, the F.A.A. chooses names that are noncontroversial,” Laura Brown, a spokesperson for the F.A.A., told Times.
Trump released a statement saying he was unconcerned about the changing codes. “Making America Great Again’ is far more important to me than an honor I never knew I had… meaning a blip on the radar,” he sad. But the Times reported that Trump had been previously aware when the navigation codes were named for him.
Many of Trump’s business partners have been dropping him in recent weeks after he said during his announcement speech that Mexican immigrants are “rapists.”
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction