A 6-year-old child was killed by a neighbor’s pit bull in Mountain Home, N.C., on Tuesday.
The woman who called 911 said she had left the child alone and gone to the bathroom for a few minutes and returned to find the boy being attacked in the neighbor’s yard, according to ABC affiliate WSPA.
Animal Enforcement officers responded and shot and killed the dog, which had been properly fenced in. The boy died at the scene.
Emergency services were initially unable to get to the child because the pit bull was violent, WSPA reported.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve