It’s hard enough to give up a favorite food during Lent, but it’s even harder when someone sends you a lot of it.
House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) sent Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) pints of chocolate gelato for her birthday today.
“Here’s hoping — and guessing — you didn’t give up chocolate for Lent,” says a letter addressed from Boehner. She posted the present on Instagram:
Indeed, the Congresswoman did give up chocolate, The Huffington Post‘s Jennifer Bendery tweeted yesterday:
Pelosi informed a few of us she gave up chocolate for Lent. How's it going, I asked. "Terrible. I'm dying."
— Jennifer Bendery (@jbendery) March 25, 2014
It’s no secret on the Hill that Pelosi is a chocoholic. She credited Ghirardelli chocolate squares for getting her through the health care debate in 2010. “I knew I loved my husband when I said I would give up chocolate for him,” she told that same Huffington Post’s Bendery in 2012. “But I also knew he loved me because he’d never ask me to do such a thing.”
WATCH: John Boehner on How to Pronounce His Name
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far